Oils have been making a big comeback in recent years & the demand is getting bigger every year for pure plant oils & plant based supplements. Much of this can be attributed to the spike in vegan & vegetarianism, but even omnivores are searching for plant based supplements – and who can blame them. Diets high in plant based foods have been shown to support your health & help you live a longer life and they are of course cruelty free. So it just makes sense when looking for a supplement to see what plants can offer the same/similar benefits to animal based supplements such as fish oils and animal proteins.
A common question we get at SBT is how does fish oil compare to seabuckthorn oil – the simple answer it doesn’t. We are talking about two totally different things; it is like comparing apples & oranges. Both apples and oranges are fruits that contain fiber and specific nutrients. Just like seabuckthorn oil and fish oil both provide omegas but contain very different nutrients and have very different environmental impacts. We won’t be going into fish oil in the post because it really isn’t our expertise, we just wanted to mention it so that people know it isn’t the be all end all of omega supplementation and that plant omegas have some amazing different & additional benefits. Seabuckthorn oil on the other hand that is our passion & specialty and what we will be talking about in this post.
8 Important reasons why this plant is so amazing
A little background information on seabuckthorn for those who aren’t familiar with this amazing plant:
- Seabuckthorn has been documented in medical literature since the eighth century
- Every part of the plant can be used for healing (the only part of the plant we at SBT don’t use is the bark which has been studied for its anti-cancer effects)
- Each seabuckthorn berry contains omegas 3 6 7 & 9, full complex vitamin e, 41 carotenoids, 17 phytosterols, 8 phospholipids, & is one of the highest natural vitamin c sources at 400mg/100g (oranges only contain approximately 55mg/100g or 70mg per orange)
- Seabuckthorn is 100% sustainable and offers sustainable nutrition & omegas
- It repairs damaged soil by replenishing nutrients into the soil – it gives back to the earth more than it takes which is very rare
- There are over a million hectares of seabuckthorn worldwide that are repairing fragile damaged land so that it can be used for farming
- It protects against radiation damage (Russian cosmonauts even included seabuckthorn in their diets to help protect them from radiation while in space)
- It’s a powerful anti-inflammatory that supports your skin, digestive, mucosal, heart, & mobility, and overall health
Seabuckthorn Seed Nutrition
Now that you have a little background on just how AMAZING this plant is overall – I am going to focus specifically on the seed oil in this blog post. An article was just released this week about the relationship between internal seabuckthorn seed oil supplementation & decreased CVD (cardio-vascular disease) risk – so we thought this would be the perfect time to refresh everyone on some of the other amazing benefits of seabuckthorn seed oil.
Seabuckthorn seed oil is derived from the seed of the seabuckthorn berry. Each seabuckthorn berry is about the size of a small jellybean. For every berry there is only one seed which accounts for 11% of its weight – so without breaking down the math too much it takes a lot of seeds to produce even the smallest amount of oil. Once the oil has been extracted the seed kernel can be used for many things including natural exfoliates and can still be taken internally (at a whopping 43% protein – if you can get your hands on some seabuckthorn seed kernel take as much as you can get!).
This oil is a beautiful golden amber colour with a high anti-oxidant capacity that makes it stable for up to 5 years from date of process. Seabuckthorn seed oil contains omega 3 & 6 in a critical 1:1 ratio to quickly and effectively reduce inflammation internally and topically. It is also rich in Omega 9 (Oleic Acid) which supports heart health and has been shown effective in the treatment of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and SBS (short bowel syndrome). It also contains the rare Vitamin K which plays an important role in blood clotting, as well as promoting strong bones & reduced heart disease risk. Lastly, seed oil is rich in tocopherols (vitamin e), phospholipids, & contains 17 phytosterols.
Seed Oil Benefits (internal & topcial)
If you’re already amazed at all of the nutrition from this one little seed – let me tell you just some of the conditions & concerns it has/can help with. I’m just to name a few – I could honestly be here all day listing the benefits of this amazing oil.
- Treats inflammatory skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema, & acne
- Kills candida when both applied topically & taken internally
- Lowers CVD risk
- Helps to maintain healthy mucous membranes
- Reduces inflammation in the body
- Promotes healthy glowing radiant skin
- Keeps flare ups & blemishes at bay
- Supports digestive health
- Aids in nutrition
- Heals burns (sun, heat, & radiation), cuts, & wounds quickly
Supplement Buying Tips (& packaging tricks)
When buying a Seabuckthorn supplements (or any supplements for that matter) always seek out quality, purity, & organic certification. Organic supplements are extra important when it comes to oil & omega supplements because oils can carry toxins (such as pesticides & who knows what else could be in some fish these days) so make sure you’re always seeking out organic. Purity is also extremely important – most seabuckthorn supplements on the market are mixed with olive, sunflower, or safflower oil so that they can be sold at a cheaper price – and they make you really look hard to find the tiny writing that mentions these cheaper lower antioxidant oils that can be up to 80% of the capsule or dosage while still being marketed as seabuckthorn. Be sure to do your research – lots of supplements should be listed & named a sunflower supplement containing seabuckthorn (but there isn’t a lot of money in that).
Where to & what to buy
All of our oils are 100% pure, organic, non-gmo, & sustainable (of course). Our 100ml Seed Oil is currently $10 off (click here to purchase or learn more) on our website. We also offer smaller sizes (10, 30, & 50ml) but if you are planning on taking it internally (as we recommend) you get the best ‘bang for your buck’ with the 100ml. Our vegan oils are the very same oils that we use to make our capsules and are of the highest nutritional & quality. They can also be applied topically which is a multipurpose win/win.
As mentioned earlier seabuckthorn is our passion and we are always happy to answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to email myself firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office anytime if you have questions (877 767 6101).
If you’re looking for reviews please visit well.ca to see just why everyone rates our oils 5 stars every time.
Next week we will be posting all about the amazing benefits of SBT Fruit Oil aka the amazing Omega 7 so be sure to come back & visit us.